Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Healthy Moms = Healthy Kids

We all know that eating healthy is important. The hard part is putting it into practice. I'll be the first to admit that I have a major sweet tooth, especially for chocolate. The thing to remember is that everything is good in small portions. An article on webmd.com gives readers three things to remember- "aim for balance, look for variety, and practice moderation." Remember the food pyramid with all of its different food groups? Well balanced diet goes back to getting the recommended portions back into our daily routine. Of course don't forget to look for variety. Maybe you need more fiber in your diet. Try granola bars or cereals high in fiber. Some English muffins and bagels are also high in fiber. Lastly, don't forget that the key to it all is moderation. Some say chocolate is good for the heart, but if you eat too much of it, it defeats the purpose of being healthy. I like to trick myself by putting the sweets in the cabinet instead of a candy dish on the counter. If it's out of sight, I don't remember that it's there. Then I don't eat as much. I eat a little when I think about it which means that I would have to remember I bought it and where I put it. So what about the kids? They need to be healthy too. Do you remember the little saying "like father, like son" (and vice versa)? If you eat healthy, then you are showing your kids how to eat healthy as well. Don't forget that you have to hide the sweets from your kids too. Don't put the treats on a low shelf that everyone in the family can reach. I still remember the days when my brother and I would sneak into the pantry when my parents weren't looking, and we got all the Oreos we wanted. Maybe that's why I have the sweet tooth that I have now. Anyway, just remember that you are the role model for your kids. Think about the choices you would want them to make, and model those choices for them. Sure this may be easier said than done, but it's so rewarding once you put these things into practice. Start trying to implement the three steps I mentioned throughout the rest of this week and let me know how it makes you feel. I'm hoping it will make you feel healthier and more energized because you're getting the right amount of nutrients that come with eating a balanced diet. I will post the link to the webmd article at the end of this post so you can read the rest of the article. Have a fabulous Wednesday! Don't forget to email me any great ideas you have on this topic or any other topic you would like to discuss.
   < http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/tc/healthy-eating-overview>.

No comments:

Post a Comment